Thursday, November 5, 2015

Sundberg Block

I'm fortunate enough to live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. A wonderful and truly beautiful wilderness, that in the not to distant past was a bustling industrial center of iron mining. According to the US census, the population of Negaunee peaked around 1910, with a population of 8,460. This was at the height of mining operations in the area, and there were many mines were open in the city. Today there is a tad over 4500 people living in the town, and over half of the city has been abandoned at various times due to fears of cave-ins. At times it truly feels like a ghost town, living in the shadows of its own former glory. Now there are huge sections of town that are lost and forgotten, leaving an eerie landscape with mysterious foundations and ruins, as well as overgrown roads. It is truly remarkable to experience.

Well, it was my day off today, and I figured it was ti,e to start this blog that I'd been planning on starting. It seemed that there was very little about Negaunee's history available easily online, and even less in the way of pictures. Having little else to do, I hopped in my trusty Yukon; Cornelius. We headed off into town. First stop: the Sundburg Block.
In his book, The City Built at the Shiny Mountain, author Robert Dobson shows this picture, with the caption:

The Sundberg Block, built in 1890, with the Bijou Theater there in 1907 with the extra fancy front on the left. It was Negaunee's first permanent silent theater. The Library theater was across the street in the Hall of International Odd Fellows. Both Buildings still exist on the west end of Iron Street. Photo Cred: March 1987 newsletter of the Irontown assoc, and Negaunee Museum.
At the time of writing, the Sundberg has suffered a roof collapse. The city announced that this historic landmark will be demolished, though lack of funds have put it into a state of limbo. Feeling the wheels of time churning, I thought it would be a good subject for the start of my new blog.

Here is the Sundberg block, as it looked today on my visit:



The fencing around it is to protect people from falling bricks, though I didn't see any sign of them falling off the front.


Looking down Iron Street west towards the Sundberg Block. Notice how the downtown just seems to stop right after the building? Well, that's because while the street continued on, the area was abandoned and closed off as it was a dangerous caving ground. Buildings were either relocated or simply demolished. This left the Sundberg, which was originally in the center of town, on the edge of the city and easily forgotten.

 An up close shot of the name on the facade. Notice the terracotta urn still at the top of this building. She must have been a classy place in her heyday!

What's this? A fire alarm! How neat!


Looking east down Iron Street, into what is left of downtown. Negaunee is a town full of historic homes and buildings. Due to the loss of population, there was never the need to tear down older dwellings to make room for newer, unlike  many of the urban centers in lower Michigan:


Across the street, the old buildings are still in use today:

It was around this time that the owners of the bar next door were outside moving some things in. I asked them if they knew when the building was supposed to be torn down, and they said it was months ago. I asked if they knew who I would ask to see the inside before it was demolished, and they said they didn't know, but they thought there was a way inside around back. I decided to take a look. What could it hurt?

West side of the building. The roof collapse seems to have been most severe on this part of the building:


Another shot, zoomed out:


The fence wouldn't have really stopped me if I wanted in this way, but it was much too visible from the street, and I'd rather not answer any questions about what I was doing, so I continued around to the back.  

A shot looking west down the closed Iron Street, into the caving grounds. Hard to imagine this field as a busy city street:




Back east at the building:



Well, getting into the back of the building was pretty easy, though I was covered in nettles and burrs afterwards. Once I got back there, I could tell this place had been neglected for quite some time now.


 The fire escape had fallen off, and was lying on the ground. If this was taken down intentionally to prevent access, I do not know, but it certainly would have been an easy way in if it was still attached!


Well alas, the entrances on the back of the building were quite secure. I'm certain with a little more time, and possibly a friend to assist, that I would have been able to gain access. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a chance to revisit this place before the impending demolition.


Maybe the second story holds the key to getting inside? That porch looks sketchy.


I did find this cool metal tile outside. Is the rest of the buildings interior decorated with fancy trim like this? One can only hope!


Hopefully I can revisit here soon!

Thanks for reading! More to follow!





No comments:

Post a Comment